Writing as a Pathway Through Grief, Loss, Uncertainty and Change: A Weeklong Retreat with Laura & Evelyn
Friday, October 14-Wednesday October 19, 2022
Writing as a Pathway Through Grief, Loss, Uncertainty & Change
If you're grieving a loss or moving through a period of uncertainty and change in your life, this six-day writing retreat, in a serene setting of incomparable beauty, will help you harness the power of story as a healing, transformative force.
Writing in community - and being deeply witnessed - is a gentle yet powerful tool for change. This retreat will provide you with a transformative week of writing, in the embrace of nature, within the safe harbor of a supportive community.
During our six days together, you will be guided on a creative, healing journey designed to help you find your bearings while grappling with the messy, uncomfortable, inevitable life challenges we all face as human beings.
- Coping with the death of a family member, friend or someone close to you?
- Grieving a significant loss of any kind?
- Facing a major transition in your life?
- Feeling ripe with uncertainty?
- Dealing with a significant change in a major relationship? Or the loss of a major relationship?
- Experiencing changes or shifts in your relationship with a child? A grandchild? A parent?
- Experiencing serious illness? Or have you been the caregiver of someone who is ill or incapacitated?
- Dealing with losses due to aging or disability? Facing your mortality in a new way?
- Starting a new job or career? Moving into retirement?
- Letting go of an identity that defined you to yourself and to the world?
- Dealing with financial uncertainty, changes or setbacks?
- Facing fallout from a betrayal?
- Questioning your faith or core beliefs?
- Feeling like your current life doesn't fit but uncertain about what is ahead?
- Reeling from a loss of security or safety in life? In the world?
- Would you like to find more presence and joy in your life?
If you answered "yes" to ONE OR MORE of these questions, this restorative retreat is for you.
About the Writing at this Retreat
You do not have to be a seasoned writer to attend this retreat. Our writing community will include a mix of beginners and experienced writers and everything in between. Some people attending this workshop will have been doing writing practice for years; others will be brand new to the practice. I will give instruction for newcomers at our first session.
While writing is definitely therapeutic, we will not be doing therapy at this retreat. Our focus will be on writing practice and the healing power of writing, but we will not be directly processing the deep issues that can arise when we write.
The instruction at this retreat will focus on process rather than technique, editing or producing a final product.
An open heart and the willingness to write is all that is required.
As a long-time retreat teacher, I've found again and again that the moment someone signs up for a retreat and sets the intention to attend, something begins to stir deep inside them; the process of change and healing begins.
Evelyn and I hope you'll consider taking that step now. Join us in Bolinas in October for a deeply creative, life-changing retreat.
You deserve to make this commitment to yourself.
Learn more details about the trip here.
Teachers and Guides
Laura Davis, Writing Workshop Instructor
Laura Davis is the author of seven non-fiction books, including The Courage to Heal, Becoming the Parent You Want to Be and I Thought We'd Never Speak Again. Laura's groundbreaking books have sold more than 1.8 million copies around the world. Laura has also worked as a columnist, talk show host, radio reporter, radio producer, blogger, editor, and speaker.
Laura's newest book, The Burning Light of Two Stars: A Mother-Daughter Story, her first memoir, tells the story of her dramatic and tumultuous relationship with her mother from the time of Laura's birth until her mother's death. You can read the first five chapters for free here.
She is a cancer survivor, the mother of three, the grandmother of three, and has buried both her parents. In other words, she is a well-seasoned human being.
Evelyn Hall, Co-Facilitator
Evelyn Hall is a social worker, master hypnotherapist, and minister. For the past 35 years, Evelyn has been guiding individuals and leading groups, helping people find healing in body, mind, and spirit. Evelyn specializes in transformative healing practices including somatic awareness, movement, meditation, healing through nature, and leading sacred ceremonies. She brings a depth to grief work by teaching clients to allow the natural healing process of grief to occur: addressing and transforming feelings and thoughts through body, mind and spirit. In this path, grief becomes the healing journey.
- Room, board and three delicious meals a day.
- All instruction for a life-changing retreat.
- The services of your capable, compassionate leaders.
- An amazing community that will lead to deep connections and new friends.
What's not included:
- Transportation to and from Bolinas.
- Tips for the kitchen and the cleaning staff.
Registration Costs: $2,400 for a double occupancy room; $3,300 for a single occupancy room; $3,000 for the small futon room single.
Payment Schedule and Cancellation Policy: To reserve a spot, you need to pay a $500 non-refundable deposit. Half of your remaining balance is due on July 1, 2022—$500 of this second payment is also nonrefundable—and the remaining balance will be due on August 1st. There will be no refunds after September 1, 2022.